P&N Auto Works Accident Checklist
Responding to an Accident
Always keep the following items in your car so they are readily accessible:
- Driver’s license
- Vehicle registration
- Insurance documentation
- A flashlight
- A disposable camera or camera phon
- A mobile/cell phone
- First aid kit, water, flare, flat fix-it kit, etc.
- Notepad and pen
Accident Response: On the Scene
Accident scenes can be very shocking, especially right after the impact occurs. Try to remain calm and do the following:
- Stop your vehicle. If you drive away, you could be charged with a “hit and run.”
- If you are blocking traffic in a dangerous place, pull off to the side of the road or into a well-lit parking lot.
- Contact the authorities. Try to assess the scene if anyone else is hurt. Otherwise, wait for the ambulance and/or police.
- Turn off your engine and wait for assistance
- Be courteous to all parties.
- If you suspect the other driver may be drunk, do not confront him or her. Tell the police and let them handle the situation.
- Make sure you are as calm as possible before making any statements or talking to the police.
- Take photos before you leave the scene.
- Avoid making statements about responsibility to the other driver, witnesses, police or anyone else. Do not state that you are at fault, even if you think you may have caused the accident.
- Contact your insurance company once you are calm and have gathered pertinent information. They will likely interview you on the spot and request photos.
- Acquire a copy of the police report.
- Call us at 973.674.8078 for assistance with free towing, insurance claims reporting, rental car assistance, and repairs to your vehicle.
After the Accident
Here are some tips for dealing with the aftermath of an accident.
- Do not drive your car if it is unsafe. If you can safely drive your vehicle, bring it to our repair facility as soon as possible.
- If you cannot operate your car, truck or SUV, call us and we can tow your vehicle.
- Remember that you have the right to go to the repair shop of your choice. Your insurance company or the other drivers insurance cannot require you to go to a particular repair shop.
- Differences in repair estimates are common. It is your vehicle, you deserve the highest quality repairs. Read the fine print and consider carefully before you accept the lowest repair estimate.
With more than 75 years of combined experience in auto body repairs, trust P & N Auto Works for the very best auto body repair and customer care.
Call us at (973) 674-8078, or email today!